Founder & Principal, Other Side Group (OSG)
President, Girls in Tech Global (GIT)
Director, Center for Social Commerce at the Newhouse School, Syracuse University
Adjunct Professor, Public Relations Department at The Newhouse School, Syracuse University
Advisory Board, Social Media Breakfast Syracuse
Board Member, Willowbank Yacht Club
MBA, Goizueta Business School at Emory University, Atlanta GA
Foci: Entrepreneurship & Marketing
- Co-President of Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club
- First-year Representative of Goizueta Women in Business
- Teaching Assistant at undergraduate and graduate level for Ethics in Leadership, Ideation and Entrepreneurship courses
- Co-organizer of Servant Leadership-based LEAD week
- First cellist in Emory Symphony Orchestra, member of Honors Quartet
MA in International Relations, The Fletcher School at Tufts University, Medford MA
Foci: Southwest Asia & Islamic Civilization, Security Studies
- Teaching Assistant at graduate and undergraduate level for Introduction to International Relations, Epidemiology and Society, and US Foreign Policy in the Middle East courses as well as GMAP Executive Education Program
- Independent research for the Jebsen Center for Counterterrorism Studies, focusing on the Bangladeshi madrasas and possible links to terrorism. Findings presented at the NPSA Conference in November 2006
BA, University of Rochester, Rochester NY
Double Major – Political Science, History
Minor in French, Certificate in International Relations
- First cellist in University of Rochester Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra
Certificate in Contemporary Europe, Syracuse University DIPA Program
Lean In: Women in Tech (Canada3.0) Panelist, 15 May 2013
Ok, Women Can’t Have it All, But Maybe No One Can (SXSW) Panelist, 11 March 2013
The Gender Agenda, Gaining Momentum (United Nations Association) Emcee of International Women’s Day event, 8 March 2013
Work Hard. Play Hard. Love Hard. (TEDxYouth) Presentation, 17 November 2012
“How Does Technology Make It Harder To Lead, and How Does It Make It Easier?“ (Fast Company) 5 November 2012
“Equality is Great, But What About the Real Benefits of Women in Leadership?” (Forbes) 26 September 2012
Pinterest for Business: How to Pin your company to the top of the Hottest Social Media Network Quoted in section on non-profit use, 18 August 2012
“Women Can’t Have it All, But Maybe No One Can” (Forbes) 25 June 2012
“Location Apps: 4 Privacy Settings You Need to Know“ (Mashable) 4 June 2012
“3 Reasons Why Pinterest is All the Buzz“ (Agency Post) 4 June 2012
“Blogging Consistency” (BlogWorld) Video interview, 18 May 2012
Generation Flux - (Fast Company) Innovation Uncensored Panelist, 18 April 2012
“Coding And Tech Skills As The Next Need-to-know Skill Set?” (Forbes) 28 March 2012
“What is Generation Flux?” – (Fast Company) 27 March 2012
Everybody’s a Bloody Entrepreneur. Or Are They? (SXSW) 11 March 2012
“9 Ways Students Can Use Social Media to Boost Their Careers” (Mashable) 10 February 2012
“Getting Your Published Content Read” (WebProNews) 3 November 2011
“Female CEO breaks glass ceiling at IBM” (MSNBC, quote) 31 October 2011
“Content Curation: What Does it Take to be Successful” (WebProNews) 29 October 2011
“How to use social media” (Mass High Tech) 20 July 2011
“GCACC members learn to ‘tweet,’ ‘blog:’ April monthly members meeting included presentation on online marketing” – (Cazenovia Republican), 21 April 2011
“2.5 Minutes with Kate Brodock,” (genConnect), 15 March 2011 at SXSW
“TEDWomen: Two Days of Empowerment,” (Owni), 29 December 2010
Digital Activism Decoded: The New Mechanics of Change, Chapter on the Digital Divide, 30 June 2010
“A hand up: The importance of bringing girls along,” (Boston Herald), 1 January 2010
Guest on HubSpot TV, 6 November 2009
“Your Customers are Talking to You. Are you Listening?” (Pink Magazine), 19 October 2009
“Leveraging Digital Media in a Down Economy,” (Emerson College), 6 October 2009
“Community tools needed to improve STEM education,” (Mass High Tech), 2 July 2009
“Top 5 Tips for Entrepreneurs,” (Strategy Magazine), March/April 2009
“New media has something to teach the area’s universities,” (Mass High Tech), November 2008
“Women and Education: The importance of women in the Bangladeshi madrasa system,” (Presentation at NPSA Conference), November 2006
Digital Activism Survey Results, July 2009 (.pdf format)
Ongoing research on how digital technologies are being used in both worldwide grassroots efforts and in global democratic initiatives. (DigiActive)
“Documenting Kenya’s Elections Using Crisis Mapping Techniques,” (Harvard Humanitarian Initiative), 2008
“To Outsource or Not to Outsource: The strategic decisions involved when considering outsourcing as a viable firm option,” (2008)
Terrorism in the Bangladesh madrasa system, (Jebsen Center for Counterterrorism), 2006
Other Side Group, 2008-present
Founder & Principal
Integrated marketing & communications firm located in Syracuse NY and Denver CO.
Syracuse University, 2011-2013
Executive Director of Digital and Social Media
Lead campus-wide strategy and initiatives in the space.
Kris Tech Wire, 2009-present
Marketing and Business Strategy at the family business.
Bose Corporate, 2007
MBA Product Marketing Intern
- Responsible for sales analysis and customer satisfaction analysis for premium product line. Projects included compilation and dissection of data, presentation of findings to upper management, and initiation of action items stemming from findings.
- Other projects included product phase out, analysis and implementation of one-month promotional program, construction of additional customer satisfaction surveys and in-store test proposal.
Kate Brodock, 2005-2006
- Launched a market research consulting practice specializing in business plans development, competitive analysis and market due diligence.
Priority 5 Group, 2005
Senior Analyst, European Markets
Start-up focusing on Critical Infrastructure Preparedness for private firms using simulation software.
- Proved as a major decision-maker in firm, and part of the three person founding team.
- Conducted heavy market and business research in all applicable areas, including security, technology and terrorism.
- Executed communication and planning with top-level US and UK executives and experts in the field. Managed the Cambridge MA office.
Harvard University, 2003-2005
Research Assistant, History of Science
- Conducted academic research under Professor Ann Blair, Henry Charles Lea Professor of History as part of her John D and Catherine T MacArther Foundation Fellowship.
- Research focused on history of the written and printed word, with a heavy focus on recording mechanisms.
Ignition Ventures, 2003-2005
Technology Transfer firm focusing primarily, but not exclusively, in the biotech field
- Performed major qualitative and quantitative research for a small technology transfer firm, including market intelligence, technology research and analysis, competitive analysis, business plan formation and final presentations.
Girls in Tech (GIT), 2008-present, President
Social Media Breakfast Syracuse, 2013-present, Advisory Board
Willowbank Yacht Club (WBYC), 2012-present, Board Member
The Meta-Activism Project (MAP), 2010-2012, Director of Strategy and Outreach
The Red House Arts Center, 2011-2012, Board Member
Fletcher Women’s Committee on Public Outreach and Social Action, 2010-2011, Chair
Boston World Partnerships (BWP), 2009-2010, Board of the Strategic Group and Connector
DigiActive, 2008-2010, Director of Marketing Strategy and Outreach
The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE), 2007-2009, Co-Chair of New Marketing Special Interest Group, Boston Chapter
ATASK, 2009, Steering Committee Member for Annual Gala
Business, New media, Technology, International Relations, Music, Hiking, Biking, Skiing, Red Sox, Anything outdoors, Cooking, Trying new things, Family, Friends, Life.